top of page

Book Review: Cassandra in Reverse

If you read Cassandra in Reverse, you'll understand our desire to eat dinner at a restaurant housed in a shipping container. We didn't find one of those, but we did find Railgarten in Midtown Memphis. My mom asked what we do at book club. I told her the truth, we talk about the book we read about 15% of the time, and we talk about life the other 85% of the time. It's a pretty solid mix, I think. I'm thankful for new friends who also love to read and for an excuse to read books I probably wouldn't pick up otherwise.

My Review: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Cons: If you've read any of my other book reviews, you know many of my readers enjoy Christian fiction. Some of the books I review here fall into that category, but many do not. This is one of those. Cassandra in Reverse has bad language, talk of sex and borderline sex scenes (although nothing explicit), as well as drinking and other vices.

Pros: One of my book club friends said that she laughed more during this book than any others we've read. We've read a lot of stick-with-you books that made us think. This one was just fun. Cassandra has layers, but she doesn't take herself too seriously. She knows herself. It's an easy read when you're looking for something fun.

The Review: In one twenty-four-hour period, Cassandra loses her boyfriend of four months (a record relationship for her) and her job. She recognizes a meltdown coming on but can't get home quickly enough. Instead, she curls into a ball in the doorway of a restaurant. When she awakes, exhausted, she realizes she's gone back in time.

At first, Cassandra struggles to make sense of this new ability, but then she realizes the possibilities. She's not interested in gaining fame or fortune. She just wants to save her job and her relationship.

Cassandra skips back in time to do over painful and embarrassing moments. She escapes the judgment of others by recognizing how her actions weren't taken as intended. While she knows herself, she isn't great at reading people. By rewinding scenes, she's able to take in pieces she missed the first time.

Let's be honest. How many of us wish we could go back and not say something or speak up when we didn't? Cassandra uses her power to take advantage of that knowledge.

She also uses it to avoid pain, especially the pain of a mysterious woman who seems to be stalking Cassandra.

Time skipping comes with consequences, though. Every time she does over one part of her life, she risks erasing another part. It's a reminder that the smallest actions can yield big results or consequences.

Cassandra makes her choice about what pieces of her life to save, what about you? If you could skip back in time, what would you change?


Featured Posts
Check back soon
Once posts are published, you’ll see them here.
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page